8.5.13

Zehrs Market "Garden" 2013: First Visit


It looked like it might rain, but I still headed over to Zehrs in Guelph. I had the whole garden area to myself and they had just received all of there spring inventory. I was on a mission to do two things; scope out if they had the Ontario Natives plant rack yet... and to see what plants they had otherwise. Mission accomplished.
Ontario Natives, $3.99 each
They did indeed have the Ontario natives rack that they've had for about 3 seasons now. Last year I bought a foam flower "Tiarella cordifolia", but it hasn't shown any growth this year at all. It's a spring blooming flower, so we'll have to see what happens in the next few weeks. 
More perennial selection from President's Choice plants
They had some decent deals on the perennial plants, 4 for $20.00, some higher, some lower. I always do well on clearance here at the end of each season. I'll have to do an exclusively PC plant review in the next few weeks. The good, the bad, the ugly.
Ontario Natives "Our Native Plants"
I bought three Trillium to add to my collection, that makes 4. One traditional white, two pink and one red, the "Ontario Natives collection also had yellow, and one more red variety. It's really great marketing and a great idea. I feel it really makes the idea of native flowers more appealing to non-gardeners or non-serious gardeners. The nursery that propagates the native plants for "Ontario Natives" is called Sipkens Nurseries, Ltd. Wyoming, Ontario N0N 1T0. Each plant comes in a biodegradable coir fibre pot and the label is also biodegradable. All-in-all is a great concept, the label design needs a bit of work, and the plants should be in the pots longer in order to establish better roots, I'd rate it 7/10 in all areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment