1.9.10

Moving off to University!

It's hard to believe it's been just about a week since I've moved to University. Most of my friends move in this weekend and Monday. I have a really big room and I lucked out, some other people share a room just as big with two single beds and a communal bathroom. In Montreal the vacancy rate is so high there isn't a huge demand for residence, thus allowing them to make larger single rooms for most students that apply. The residence is really comfortable, nice people, two TV rooms, a small kitchenette with a microwave and kettle, a nice laundry facility (Yikes! I have to do that today!) and finally I am a 4-5 minute walk away from Rugby, which helps at 10:30pm when it's over. The Cafeteria is actually less-fried and fatty than I imagined, with a "Best-vegetarian" award hanging in the front hall, and local food posters explaining each recipe, I am delighted. They work specifically with each season, bringing in fresh, organic and free-range foods as much as they can. There is always salad, chocolate milk, veggies, a tofu-option and pasta. In my dorm I have my own mini-fridge, where I always have; milk, OJ, fruit, yogurt, cheese, salsa, jam and other perishables. In a large cabinet I also have; Cheerios, tortillas, corn chips, bread, nuts & trail mix, granola & bars, peanut-butter, Nutella, tea, tuna, popcorn, crackers, hearty soup, apple-sauce and assorted noodles/pasta packages. I am well fed.
Some challenges here have been the temperature of last week and some of this one. My room was reaching temperatures of about 45-50C in the morning to mid-afternoon and about 30C at night. Finally after the help of my small fan, a no cover, a sports-bra and undies, I was able to survive the night. Now I know what it was like for my friend Alec, who spent 2 weeks in Cambodia. Hot, humid, UV. Other challenges include; difficulty getting a transit pass, waking up at 6 am due to the hot sun, ugly dorm room and being asked every night by my non-athlete res neighbors to go downtown and party until 5am. I did manage to join them three times, and I had a blast, each time only spending 6$ on transport and cover for 5$ one time. Most places let girls in for free! Mom, Dad I'm learning so much! I'll have a bit of a break this week so I'll have more time to explore the city and enjoy both day and night-life.

The first Monday I got here was my Stingers Rugby training camp! I was super nervous to perform my best, impress the coach and other girls. I was also anxious about the level of play and difficulty. The more I reflect on it, the more I am impressed with my abilities and my confidence in growing. Some of the girls are intimidating, but all seem to be nice, respectable and influential players. Most do there best to make the rookies feel like a friend and a valued team-member. The first night was paperwork, fitness, strength, agility and suicides (WOW). I didn't give up, even though one would think the body would shutdown after such physical stress, the second night was about running, and running, running, oh... and running. Wednesday felt less challenging as those first two days whipped me back into my rugby mind-set, hitting like a brute, playing like a genius and acting like a lady. We worked on plays, run-thrus and the fitness seemed light comparing nights previous. It was nice to play under the lights, different, a new challenge, but it took the bite out of the heat. Thursday was all about the team-bonding, fun and secret exercise (walking up stairs and jumping in the wave pool). We drove by Concordia Bus 1.5hrs east of Ottawa to Calypso Water Park. Click the link to see all of the rides I had a blast screaming down!


No comments:

Post a Comment