7.7.12

Garden Design: Dark-dreamer

In the extreme heat we've been having, I've been playing inside, working on some different garden concepts. In this "Garden Design" post I've focused on the dark side of plants. Not the evil or temperament, but the hue of these gorgeous plants! There is something so haunting and unique about dark flowers and foliage. I found some great plants as examples and I hope it inspires you, like it did me. The contrast of light green foliage and dark, almost black flowers and dark purple-black foliage of other species.
Centaurea montana "Black Sprite",  Lillium "Landini", Black Mondo Grass, Helleborus hybridus "Onyx Odessey",
Heuchera "Geisha's Fan", Rudbekia occiddentalis "Black Beauty"

Clematis Recta "Velvet Night",  Pennsemon "Dark Towers", Sedum "Bertram Anderson",
 Hellborus "Black Diamond",  Dianthus "Velvet & Lace",  Eupatorium rugosum "Chocolate"

Cimicifuga simplex "Hillside Black Beauty", Phlox paniculata "Wendy House", 
Geranium psilostemon "Bressingham Flair", Aster lateriflorus "Prince" 

6 comments:

  1. Amazing deep colouring! Beautiful. LT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely flowers, I especially like the black diamond, never saw just dark petals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your choice of "the dark side" plants are great. I have a few of them here in the gardens along the shores of Lake Michigan. They do add lots to help the contrast in gardens. I have posted some in past postings for that very reason. It was great to see your Blog today. Jack

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seem to be drawn to those dark colors... I've planted a fair share in my gardens. I'm intrigued by your Black Sprite bloom... beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures of the beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete