11.6.12

I freaking love Tradescantia/ Spiderwort!

I love Tradescantia. otherwise known as Spiderwort! It is possibly one of my favourite plants in the garden, but like having multiple children, you can never just pick one favourite. This plant is amazing!
Clockwise from top left; "Concorde Grape", "Bilberry Ice", "Osprey", "Blue and Gold"

It comes in many more forms and colour variations, with typically a purple or violet bloom and green foliage. It likes partial shade, and only a few hours of direct sun and moist soil, although it will do nicely in a drought. The flowers only last about a day or two, but bloom consistently throughout the spring/summer season and even into the fall! I also love how they look like a grass and many other types of flowers depending on where you have them, a true chameleon. 

 Here is my Spiderwort blooming this year. "Sweet Kate" is the variety.


My favourite nursery has this variety in stock now and I want it!... Canadian Tire also had a lovely variety I haven't seen around, and I'm going to investigate that one.

"Sunshine Charm"

3 comments:

  1. I have Blue and Gold, love it when it is coming up in the spring. I shall have to look for Sunshine Charm, anything chartreuse seems to find its way home with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grow Ohio Spiderwort. Very well behaved, doesn't run, makes big clumps. Beautiful deep blue flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pictures! I grow Sweet kate and love it. I have been using it in my borders for years. It's and easy perennial to grow.

    check out my post pictures of Sweet Cate.
    Michael
    Sweet Kate

    ReplyDelete