16.3.12

My Top Pollinator Picks of 2012 Part 1

I am introducing a new segment to my blog on my love for gardening. Lately it's been very dark and gloomy in the city and I am getting that antsy feeling about getting into my gardening again. The only thing that keeps me sane and satisfying in my garden-less home in the big city seems to be creating plans and lists, doing research, reading and dreaming of my garden. Let's just say I have been doing a lot of research this winter. I am determined to have the best gardening season yet, and I'm excited to share some of my designs and ideas!

One important factor that you should always be thinking of when you plan your garden or choose plants is about your pollinators. They may not be "your" pollinators, your bees, your butterflies, they are wild guests to your party. The more pollinators in your garden, is a direct indicator of your garden's success. It's an amazing feeling, walking out into your garden and hearing a symphony of buzzing and movement.

Your garden should be a haven for wildlife, even the small, stinging variety. Don't be afraid, let them in, when they are busy collecting nectar, they are less likely to bother your family. Here I have a review list of The Top Pollinator Picks of 2012. You can buy them online or in store, I'll post updates in the summer and I hope you will like my selections.

The Milkweed Family/ Butterfly Weed - (Asclepias)
These are beautiful twists on the common milkweed variety that grows wild across Canada. Its a self-seeding perennial, with wide array of colours ranging from dark purple-pink flowers to orange, pink and white, with soft green rubberised foliage. It grows tall and blooms in the late summer. Attract bumble bees and mother butterflies with this buzz-drug. Hummingbirds also enjoy flowers in the Asclepias family.
Purple Milkweed - Asclepias purpurascens
Pink Cinderella Milkweed - Asclepias Cinderella
White Milkweed - Asclepias ballet
Butterfly Weed - Gay Butterflies

The Rudbekia Family - (Black Eyed Susan)
There are amazing rudbekia varieties on the market this year. My top pics are special, because the flower size and showy colours are outstanding. Hummingbirds, butterflies, bees and other pollinators love intense "warm" spectrum colours like reds, oranges, yellows, pinks and magenta. My picks are all very different from the transitional Black Eyed Susan, yet easy to grow from seed.
Rudbekia - Hot Chocolate, Prairie Sun, Cherry Brandy, Morrocan Sun Mix

The Cone Flower Family - (Echinacea)
Cone flowers have long been known for their medical properties and as a perennial garden staple in the 19th century. Let's cut to the nectar! These lovelies are hardy, long blooming and can draw in every kind of pollinator with just one look. At the end of the season, they also function as finch jungle gyms, spreading new valuable seed to the bed bellow. Aren't they amazing!
Echinacea - PowWow Wild Berry, Hot Papaya & Gumdrop, Tiki Torch, Double Decker, Raspberry Truffle, Green Envy, Secret Joy, Amazing Dream



No comments:

Post a Comment