23.8.10

August 23rd- Garden Update!


This is "my" last garden update. My dad is going to inherit my massive seed collection when I move out and start some seeds in early April, and hopefully I will be around to maintain and enjoy the "fruits" of our labour throughout the summer. We have one PVC, make-due hoop house that will be great for carrots, onions, spinach, lettuce, peas and garlic in the spring. With two possible green houses we could have fresh produce, young perennials and annuals by late April.
I still have many surprises waiting in the garden that I will be unable to witness eye to eye. Like my multi-colour pack of tomatoes, I have no idea what colours they will ripen into. My luscious leeks, variety of unripe peppers, squash and odds & ends.
Hopefully I can return for Thanksgiving and enjoy them with all the family. But for now, this is what's happening in the Meredith-Thrifty garden.

A baby sparrow taking a flying break, about the size and weight of Toonie.

Tomatoes galore! Early Girl, Beefsteak, Big Boy, Cherry, Plum and surprises are overflowing the counter-tops and window-sill.

My big-giant-mammoth sunflowers are blooming. This one with a head size of 12 in. in diameter and a staggering height of 13.6 ft is a winner. Next year's giant here we go!

"Golden" or blush raspberries are finally ripe and juicy! They have a sweeter more subtle taste that seems smoother than the red raspberries. This is a production variety, thus the cane is loaded with large grade "A" berries!

Keep checking out my blog for photos on my garden, family and adventures! I'll be sure to be posting often about University, Rugby, Dorm-life, the garden back home and Montreal! Who knows maybe you can squeeze some more garden updates out of me.
Send garden questions to: sweeneymere@gmail.com, Subject: Garden Update Questions! Ask me anything from, my next garden plans, plant choices, seed selections, garden problems, thrifty ideas, getting started and unique varieties!

No comments:

Post a Comment